Tips for Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner in your Apartment
Thanksgiving is coming up, and that means it’s time to get your dinner plans in order! If you live in an apartment, and your kitchen is less than industrial-sized, that doesn’t mean you can’t cook a delicious feast for your friends and family this Thanksgiving. By following these simple tips, you can make sure that your Thanksgiving dinner is tasty and memorable!
Plan the Menu
Plan your menu with space considerations in mind:
- choose some sides that can be made on the stove-top while the turkey takes up the oven space
- don’t choose items with too many ingredients
- look for dishes that can be done in one pot or pan
- use other appliances; e.g. keep roasted veggies warm in a countertop toaster oven, make mashed potatoes or stuffing ahead of time and keep them warm in a slow cooker
- add a hearty salad or two in place of hot side dishes
Plan the Space
Before you begin cooking, assess your space:
- clear the counter of anything that won’t be used for cooking (the fruit bowl, the toaster, the stack of unread mail — tuck them away in a cabinet until Thanksgiving is over)
- plan the order in which you will cook each dish and which appliances will be required
- prep as much food as possible (chop veggies and fresh herbs, grate cheese, make breadcrumbs, etc.) before the big day and store it in those handy storage containers you bought
- assemble any casseroles the day before and refrigerate
Get to Cooking!
While you are cooking:
- clean up as you go
- rinse off measuring spoons and cups, bowls, and utensils and keep reusing them as you cook
Hopefully, these simple suggestions will help you throw a great Thanksgiving dinner party! From all of us at Willow Creek Crossing Apartments in Fort Wayne, have a happy and delicious Thanksgiving!