Earth Day 2017: Ways You Can Help the Environment
Celebrate Earth Day Saturday, April 22nd!
The first Earth Day was held in 1970. Every year since, April 22nd is celebrated around the world to remind us that it is in our hands to preserve and protect our planet for future generations. Even small steps make a difference. It’s a good time to reconsider old habits and incorporate new ones into our daily lives and be good to Mother Earth.
- Turn off lights when you leave the room
- Have the kids turn off the TV AND the video game console when they are done playing
- Turn off the faucet when brush your teeth
- Donate old clothes, furnishings and toys, instead of throwing them away
- Switch to Energy Star-rated CFL lightbulbs which use 75 percent less energy and can last 10 times longer than standard bulbs
- Only run the dishwasher when it is full
- Don’t hand wash dishes — the dishwasher uses significantly less water and energy than hand washing does
- Carpool — it reduces emissions and saves you money, too!
- Set up the office printer and copy machine to print on both sides of the page
- Set your computer to go into “sleep” mode if you will be away from it for more than a few minutes
Food and beverages:
- Brew USDA ”certified” organic coffee at home — it’s grown using sustainable methods
- Use a travel mug at your favorite coffee shop instead or throw away cups — you may even get a discount!
- Use refillable, reusable metal water bottles instead of plastic bottles designed for one-time use
- Go meatless (even if just on Mondays) — large-scale meat production creates pollution and emits greenhouse gases and are the leading cause of climate change
- Eat local and seasonal whenever possible — if you haven’t already, check out the Fort Wayne Farmers Market to buy your fruit and veggies from local farmers
- Bring your own bags to the grocery store
- Slow down and drive the speed limit — higher speeds guzzle more gas
- Check your tires air pressure regularly — keeping them filled to your car’s guidelines improves mileage
- Use Fort Wayne’s ever-expanding trail system to get places without a car — and get some exercise at the same time!
In the community:
- Celebrate “Earth Day Fort Wayne” at Eagle Marsh on Sunday, April 30, from 1 to 5PM — a free, family-friendly event with something for everyone, including conservation tips, wetland/nature presentations, a drawing for special prizes, and more.
- Help keep Fort Wayne beautiful — The Great American Clean-Up in Fort Wayne is on Sunday, May 2oth. Check the website for details
Happy Earth Day!