How to Protect yourself this Cold and Flu Season
It’s that time of year again in Fort Wayne, and you may have already heard some coughing and sneezing from some friends and family members. Although, catching a cold or flu may seem like an inevitable part of winter, there are a few steps to help you stay healthy this winter.
- exercise regularly to boost your immune system — particularly aerobic exercise that gets your heart pumping and brings more oxygen to your lungs (Hit the fitness center right here at Willow Creek Crossing, or there are some cardio exercises you can do in your apartment, even if you have downstairs neighbors! Check out this website for some quiet, indoor cardio workouts.)
- get plenty of rest and add some scheduled relaxation time to help keep your immune system strong
- avoid touching your face because cold and flu viruses enter through your eyes, nose or mouth
- wash your hands (scrubbing for at least 20 seconds, between fingers and under nails) and teach your kids to do the same
- keep your apartment well sanitized. Use sanitizing wipes to wipe down high traffic areas and items in your house, such as doorknobs, tabletops, TV Remotes, etc.
- don’t sneeze or cough into your hands; if possible use a tissue or the inside of your elbow instead
- get a flu vaccine or flu mist for young children
- eat well, particularly brightly colored fruits and vegetables that are supercharged with vitamins and minerals; here is a list (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ss/slideshow-immune-foods) of foods that are known for their immune boosting qualities
Check out the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information on how you can better be prepared to fight the flu this winter.
From all of us at Willow Creek Crossing Apartments in Fort Wayne, we would like to wish our residents a happy and healthy winter season.